Friday, July 20, 2012

Model finished!

Yes, I finally finished the model I was stitching and mailed it back to the designer. She posted a photo of it on her blog here. This is a photo I took of it before I mailed it back to her.


It was stitched on 40 count over two with Belle Soie silks. The finished size is roughly 12 x 12 inches.

I am now on to other projects, namely the sampler I am doing for the EGA Master Craftsman program. I selected my colors and have started the outside border. I'm stitching on 36 count over two with a single strand of Weeks Dye Works and The Gentle Arts. After working on 40 count the 36 count seems huge!

This month our EGA chapter did an outreach project at a local library. We've done this for a few years now. We teach two different stitching projects to participants in the library's teen program. I have a couple of photos from the session we did embroidering on jeans pockets to create little purses.


We cut out small pieces of cardboard to slip inside the pockets so the girls wouldn't accidentally stitch through both layers. Some used buttons as an added embellishment. The purses were finished using a long twisted cord that you can see coiled up in the bottom photo.

Another fun thing our guild did this month was our annual Potluck and Stash Reallocation. We all donate our unwanted stash, bring a dish to share and shop for new treasures from the stash of others! All of the money raised goes back to our chapter. I love this annual event and always come home with my share of "new" stash. The only problem is it usually adds to my already full list of projects I want to work on!

2 comments:

  1. Darla,
    The model is stunning! You did beautiful work! What a neat project for your group to do with teens! Our stitch group does a stash swap yearly too, but we are always stumped as to where to donate our remains. We did send a box to Joplin after their tornado. Where did you send your stash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sharyn! It was fun to stitch. The leftovers from our stash go to a variety of places. Some is saved for the next year's sale, some is set aside to use for various outreach projects, some is donated to the Textile Center where it is sold as a fundraiser, some is sent to a military hospital and some is used as giveaways for young stitchers who visit our demo booth at the state fair. Last year we sent a box to a group working with students that was in need of craft/stitching supplies. We also use some of it for various monthly programs. Each October we do a free program for all members and visitors and the leftover stash helps us keep our costs down.

    ReplyDelete