Friday, July 19, 2013

Monastery- Final Part

To finish up my report on our trip to see the embroideries at the monastery in St. Joseph, I would like to share a few of the things that impressed me... other than what I've already shared!

In the photo below you can see one of the storage drawers pulled out so we could view one of the vestments. This storage piece was specially designed so the embroidered vestments could be laid out flat without being creased. 


If you look carefully you can see that the drawer pulls out on a center hinge and rotates much like a lazy Susan cabinet you would find in a kitchen cupboard. Some of the drawers opened to the right while others opened to the left. Each piece was then covered to protect it from, I suspect, any visitor who might like to touch the lovely embroideries.

Also on display was a selection of some of the silks used in one of the pieces. You can see how they achieved the shading in the flowers and leaves by using such a variety of color.

I asked which piece these colors may have been used in and was shown this one as a possibility. I wish you could see it in person. It is simply breathtaking!

The piece below is one that I was taken with. The stitches are executed in a way that is not only technically excellent, but there is such care in each stitch. In talking with the sisters they reminded us that the women who created these pieces were not only stitching for beauty , but this was very much an act of worship for them.

Right now the embroideries are not on display in the museum, but there is discussion about bringing them back as a permanent exhibit. I don't usually do this, but I think this is such a worthwhile project...If you would like to make a contribution to the sisters you may do so at this link.


No comments:

Post a Comment