Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Madison and More Progress



Earlier this month we made a quick trip to Madison, Wisconsin to deliver a chair for our soon to be granddaughter. While there I made a somewhat quick stop at a needlework shop I just learned about. Lynn’s is hidden away on Odana Street, not too far from the West Towne Mall. Although my stop was brief I did manage to add to my stash! I picked up a couple of charts (one by Moira Blackburn) and a couple of pieces of fabric- one in 36 count and one in 40 count. The ladies were very pleasant and asked if I needed help but also gave me time to browse. I found a copy of the pattern I model stitched earlier this year so that was fun! They have a lot of samplers, nice color choices in the higher count fabrics and a small section of Brazilian embroidery. I will need to make it a regular stop when I’m in Madison.

In other stitching news… I did finish a Little House Needleworks piece that I showed you in an earlier post. I changed the blue because what was included in the kit was, in my opinion, too light to go with the fabric used for the little bed. It is always nice to finish up one of those smaller pieces!


I also made good progress on the quilt for the upcoming baby. The pattern is from a book called “Jelly Babies” by That Patchwork Place. It called for a jelly roll but I picked up bits of fabric here and there and used a variety of fabric lines.  I just love the owls! They are "appliqued" with Steam a Seam Lite. I then hand stitched around the edges to secure them. I tried to curve the branches a little so they looked more real and not like a couple of straight lines. The top is now complete and I have started marking my quilting lines. I will finish those and then add the backing and batting so I can hand quilt it. 



Before I close  I would like to share with you this site I found that has free needle tatting patterns. I like them because they use color and are not the usual doilies. I learned how to shuttle tat and haven't tried needle tatting yet. I can't imagine they would be too different so really should give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment